The OMI Pathology Lab has been functioning since the inception of the hospital and has maintained a steady upward growth to stay abreast of the latest developments in laboratory medicine. The last is registered with RIQAS, the UK – based quality assurance scheme.
The lab work is greatly facilitated by automated analyzer which ensures high performance standards within a short period of time.
The lab is organized into a number of sub – units and performs a wide – range of diagnostic tests, including quantitative measurements and specialized tests.
The departments comprise:
- Haematology department which performs all routine hematological tests and includes a blood bank.
- Chemical pathology department which performs routine biochemistry as well as specialized tests which are performed on sophisticated automated machines.
- Microbiology and serology department.
- Histopathology and Cytopathology department.
- Parasitology and clinical pathology department
All these services are provided by the coordinated efforts of a number of professional e.g. pathologists, Lab technicians, phlebotomists, bio-medical engineers and the administrative staff.